Installing a new roof is no easy task – there are many details to consider such as choosing the right contractor, paperwork, warranties, costs and roofing materials. One important aspect to roofing that many homeowners overlook, however, is the color of your roof!
Up to 40% of your home’s exterior appearance is represented by your roof. For this reason, the shingle style and color you choose can help boost your home’s resale value. Color doesn’t just affect aesthetics, though! The color of your roof can also impact your home’s energy efficiency.
Blue Fox Roofing understands there’s a lot to consider, so keep reading to learn about what to consider when choosing a new roof color!
Check Homeowners Association Rules
If you live in a community with a Homeowners Association (HOA), then you most likely need to check with them before you fully set your sights on a color for your roof.
Here are some tips on how to kickstart the process:
- Check your copy of the covenants, conditions, and restrictions (CC&R’s) for your home. You are typically given a copy after your home’s closing. This will tell you the rules and regulations on property restrictions.
- If you want to be sure your information is still up-to-date, contact your neighborhood’s property management company.
- Once you get in contact with their office, make sure to ask them about current protocol as well as any pre-approved colors.
- Make sure your chosen color isn’t too similar to your neighbors. This might prevent you from being approved.
Check Home Color
Once you’ve been given the green light, it’s time to decide on a color. One of the biggest challenges in choosing a roof color is making sure it matches with your home’s color.
Here are a few complimentary colors you can consider based on your home’s base color:
- Light Grey Base: Light Brown, Dark Brown, Gray, Black, Green, Blue
- Red Base: Black, Dark Gray, Tan, Dark Grown
- Brown Base: Gray, Dark Brown, Green
- White Base: Almost all colors including Red, Blue, Green
Climate and geography not only play a role in selecting the right roofing materials, but also the right color!
In general, your roof’s color affects your home’s overall energy efficiency. The lighter the colors the better it will reflect the sun’s rays, while the darker colors the more it will absorb the heat.
This is why when choosing a roof color, it’s important to consider the general climate of your location. If you’re living in a hot climate, lean towards lighter colors. This way your home will deflect heat rather than absorb it. If you’re living in colder climates, go for darker colors. This will keep the heat from sinking into your home and causing your AC to run.
Contact Blue Fox Roofing!
If you’ve followed the above tips but are still not feeling confident, then the best thing you can do is seek out professional help from a qualified roofer. Our roofers at Blue Fox Roofing have the experience and skill to help you decide what color is best for your home’s needs. We’ll consider all the details – from roofing materials, siding, trims, to your home’s base color. Contact us to upgrade your roof today!