Sometimes a roof reaches the end of its useful life without total failure, leading to leaks. If that happens, your roof may look old and worn, even if you’ve been diligent with preventive maintenance on your home. Replacing your Charlotte roof before leaks occur is the smartest choice you can make. Otherwise, you’re likely to face bigger, more expensive problems down the road. So watch for the warning signs. Give yourself plenty of time to choose the right contractor and the right shingles for your home.
- Missing or cracked shingles.
- Shingle edges are curled or shingle tabs are cupped.
- Bald spots where granules are missing.
- Your roof is at least 20 years old. Modern shingles are manufactured to be durable. But factors beyond their making can accelerate the aging of your roof. Poor ventilation or a subpar previous installation can negatively impact your shingles and roof performance.
- Neighbors are getting new roofs. Homes in your neighborhood are typically built around the same time and experiencing the same types of hardships. That means if your neighbors are having problems, you are likely to as well.
- Dark streaks. Airborne algae cause dark streaks on roof decks. This might not harm the roof, but it does look bad. Algae streaks can be removed by a professional roof cleaner.
- Moss. Moss can grow on roof surfaces that don’t get much sunlight, especially in cool, moist climates. Moss growth can be more than a cosmetic issue. Moss holds moisture against the roof surface and over time can cause damage to the granules on the top of the shingles. Moss can be brushed off which won’t prevent its re-growth. If brushing moss off your roof, take care not to damage the shingle surface.
When it’s time to replace your Charlotte roof, don’t trust just anyone with your new roof installation – Call Blue Fox Roofing today!